Be careful what you wish for!

All topics allowed. Board rules apply.

Moderators: ZENITH R, qprdotorgadmin, Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr

WA Hoop
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Be careful what you wish for!

Post by WA Hoop »

So, barring a most improbable last day of the season, all three promoted clubs will return to the Championship following their year long 'loan period' to the Premier League. What a sad indictment on the ever growing disparity between the two leagues. :roll:
Question everything.
ActonArthur
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Be careful what you wish for!

Post by ActonArthur »

Although I completely agree I would still wish for it. For the joy in the promotion feeling and the longer term financial outlook of being in receipt of the sky money.

If we did it right this time and accepted a yo yo status it would give some great years of intermittently being near the top of the championship.
SuperHoopsa

Post by SuperHoopsa »

I do wonder with Sky seemingly investing more money in the Championship next season if it may actually help to balance the disparity a little.

I know it means games being moved to all manner of days and times, but when you are club a relatively small capacity stadium in to days standards the extra revenue could help get then 1 or 2 extra players that can make the difference.
LP
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by LP »

For me at least, it's never been 'the Premier League' that I've specifically craved.

When we won the Championship in 10/11 - it wasn't the promise of the Premier League that filled my veins with pure joy.

Nor was it the promise of the Premier League that made appendages throb at Wembley 2014 when Bobby Zamora made me starch my pants.

All the moments, the joy, the happiness, the triumph over frustration, of what could be - fortunately that transcends the league you're in, and what brings moments of unfathomable joy in following QPR through whichever league we find ourselves in.

They might be a long way off, but we can have our moments in the Premier League too.

Rate, Review & Discover Cheese - Cheese Subscriptions now LIVE! - https://fetaccompli.uk
ActonArthur
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ActonArthur »

LP wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 9:50 am All the moments, the joy, the happiness, the triumph over frustration, of what could be - fortunately that transcends the league you're in, and what brings moments of unfathomable joy in following QPR through whichever league we find ourselves in.
Great words and use of words
222gers
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by 222gers »

LP wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 9:50 am For me at least, it's never been 'the Premier League' that I've specifically craved.

When we won the Championship in 10/11 - it wasn't the promise of the Premier League that filled my veins with pure joy.

Nor was it the promise of the Premier League that made appendages throb at Wembley 2014 when Bobby Zamora made me starch my pants.

All the moments, the joy, the happiness, the triumph over frustration, of what could be - fortunately that transcends the league you're in, and what brings moments of unfathomable joy in following QPR through whichever league we find ourselves in.

They might be a long way off, but we can have our moments in the Premier League too.
Very well written….
WA Hoop
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by WA Hoop »

LP wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 9:50 am For me at least, it's never been 'the Premier League' that I've specifically craved.

Of course LP, your words undoubtedly convey the collective emotional connection in which we are all invested. After all, it's the journey not the destination. It goes without saying that some PL cash and the odd PL moment would be most welcome.

On a somewhat less positive note, recently, I happened to come across this Blades related article...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/bl ... -of-misery
Question everything.
UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by UxbridgeR »

Thanks for posting that, WA - a good read.

Sheff Utd and Luton always seemed very likely to go down, although the latter have made the best fist of it of all the promoted clubs. I thought Burnley would be OK, but Kompany seemed to make too many changes to the Championship winning team of last year. Luton spent a fraction of the money, but their recruitment was much smarter, Barkley in particular being a great signing.

I feel more ambivalent about the "best league in the world" with every passing year. There's some wonderful football played by the top teams, but I couldn't really agree more with the idea that letting the "big six" go off to their European Super League might have been the best thing that could have happened in some ways. There are so many games that are essentially complete mismatches, and whatever league you're in, getting tonked on a regular basis makes for a pretty miserable experience.

It's also pretty nauseating to watch the likes of Fulham and Forest rip off their fans with ridiculous ticket pricing, while claiming they have to do so to remain competitive. That £100M+ a year they're guaranteed from Sky still not enough apparently. Suck it up, "legacy" fans.

A pox on all their houses, I say. Feel free to file this under old man yells at cloud.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?
bigbobb
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by bigbobb »

I found it really interesting and almost heart-warming listening to the radio on the last day of the Championship when, doing their going round the grounds bit to build the tension, but when they were interviewing some Southampton fans and asked a question along the lines of "what do you think about your chances of getting back to the Premiership?" didn't go quite according to plan.

The reporter clearly expected a response of excited optimism and excitement - instead he got almost the opposite!

They all said it's been such a good season of tight games watching good football and won some lost some whereas in the Prem all you're doing is trying to hold on...

aniclap
This time we'll get it right - just believe! :wink:
ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R »

The only thing the Premier league has to offer the vast majority of clubs - those already there, or those wanting to join, is a bumper pay day. The football for the most part is distinctly average, sure there are some good games, possibly even some great games, but there are a lot of stinkers too.

The current top 8 contains only one surprise in Aston Villa. The rest are all same old, same old. Man City, Arsenal, Man United, Chelsea, Newcastle, Tottenham and Liverpool. Yawn!

Luton and Sheffield United took some real hidings this season. Where is the fun in that?

On getting promotion teams are faced with a dilemma. Bank the cash and almost certainly get relegated or spend the cash, and they might still get relegated. Our last foray into the big boys league was actually a salutary lesson, should we ever get there again, I hope the lessons have been learnt.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.
222gers
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by 222gers »

I've been saying for years that I don't want the club to get to the Prem unless it's to stabilise finances.
The Champ for all its faults is fine by me - a nicer day out with real fans. The ref standard in the Champ is abyssmal of course and people say what's the point if you don't want to go up, but a top half Champ finish is fine with me.
wrinklyhoop
2010/11 Sponsor
2010/11 Sponsor

Post by wrinklyhoop »

222gers wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 4:15 pm I've been saying for years that I don't want the club to get to the Prem unless it's to stabilise finances.
The Champ for all its faults is fine by me - a nicer day out with real fans. The ref standard in the Champ is abyssmal of course and people say what's the point if you don't want to go up, but a top half Champ finish is fine with me.
Have to agree with most of that. I remember the misery of our last visit to the 'promised land'. Away days are so much better where we are. I'd only welcome a return visit to the Prem, if I thought it would be managed better, so that the Club could get on a better financial footing, even if that meant a few yoyo seasons.
222gers
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by 222gers »

With Lids looking like going up after trouncing Norwich, I'd have titled this thread Be Wishful What You Care For.